Pages

Friday 13 May 2011

Sheep Facts 1-10

Today I decided to post a helpful guide for you to get a better understanding of the world of sheep.

Did you know:

1.  Sheep were once on the white house lawn.  During Woodrow Wilson's administration he had sheep grazing on the front lawn!

2.  Sheep have been used for their wool, meat and milk.



3.  Sheep only have bottom teeth; the top of their mouth is only gum.

4.  "Dolly" the sheep was the first mammal to be cloned.


5.  Sheep live in groups called "flocks".

6.  Adult sheep eat between 1-4 kgs of grass or hay per day.

7.  Sheep are ruminants meaning they have 4 stomachs.  This allows them to "chew their cud" or regurgitate their food and chew it again.

8.  Sheep produce wool as their hair.  This wool is also know as "fibre" and is softer and finer than human hair.

9.  The top three producers of sheep in the world are: China, Australia and New Zealand.

10.  Sheep are sheared once a year and can be sheared in 3 to 4 minutes.  A shearer takes about 53 strokes to cut the fleece off a sheep in one piece.  Sheep are shorn with a tool that looks like hair clippers.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I just saw your sister's blog. Your sister right? I hope so otherwise that was an embarrassing moment for me. Anyways... I'm From Tees, Alberta and I'm in sheep 4h too! I was just happy to see more shepherds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that was my sister! And yes it's great to know there are other sheep people out there. We are from the small town of Standard, Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Just a correction, sheep do not have top teeth in the FRONT of their jaw, the do have top teeth at the back of their mouth. I dare you to stick your fingers back there to check for teeth. (don't do it, just take my word for it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry but I believe you are misinformed, I have checked my sources once again just to make sure and have found "As with other ruminants, the front teeth in the lower jaw bite against a hard, toothless pad in the upper jaw." and other talk of a upper hard pad. Just incase anyone else is wondering here are some reliable sources :
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep
      http://woolshed1.blogspot.ca/2009/01/sheep-farm-husbandry-teeth.html

      Delete