Pages

Friday 6 May 2011

4-H

Did you know that something could be old and still going strong other than the Queen of England?  That's right; 4-H Canada was founded in 1913.  4-H has always been a way for youth to show and compete with their projects.  I have been involved in this program for 7 of the 98 years it has been running.  Alberta 4-H has over 33 projects available, from small animals to life skills and photography to veterinary science.  Sheep has been the project of choice for me for all 7 years; they are smaller livestock and easy to handle and work with.   4-H has many opportunities for members, for example with sheep each member has the ability to raise 1 or more lambs, show and sell them.  This allows for producers to get out in the public and show off their animals.  Both me and my sister are members of 4-H and have always been in sheep.  Each show is a new chance to show the people where some of their food comes from.  4-H is a great way to publicly show the world where lamb and beef comes from.  Another great blog about farm life and sheep is Marleen Palsson's Blog.  To learn more about 4-H visit the 4-H website.

5 comments:

  1. haha, your intro line bade me laugh! great post about 4-H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess i just had the royal wedding on the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed reading my post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute picture of those little sheeps! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed viewing my sheep! :D

    ReplyDelete